Are you all aware of how ridiculously easy it is to make your own cream puffs? If so, WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME SOONER?!
I stumbled on the recipe in our Family Fun magazine (thanks Grandma!) which was actually for cream puffs filled with ice cream, but decided to fill them with whipped cream because that's what I had in my fridge. The batter was really strange and I was skeptical before they went in the oven but they turned out delicious! It was so easy that Katelyn did most of the work. Double bonus!
Cream Puffs
1C water
1/2C butter, diced
1t sugar
1/2t salt
1C flour
4 eggs
1 lightly beaten egg for coating (we omitted this and it turned out fine)
3/4C heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 375 and move rack to bottom middle rack. Grease two cookie sheets with butter. In saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in flour until blended. Return to heat and cook on medium, stirring constantly until mixture pulls away from the sides. Transfer dough to a bowl and add 4 eggs, one at a time, until each is incorporated. Spoon dough onto cookie sheets in golf ball sized mounds. Brush with beaten egg. Bake 25-28 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. In the meantime, beat 3/4C cream and 1T sugar until soft peaks form. When cool, slice each puff in half and spread dollop of whipped cream in between, replace top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Voila!
All the joy of the state fair minus the temptation to eat fried oreos!

1 comment:
I had the same thought the first time I made Cream Puffs. The recipe you followed is very similar to the WI State Fair's. This year they want to beat the World Record for the largest one...means it will have to weigh 75 + lbs!!!
Glad you're getting ideas from the magazine!
Post a Comment