Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ten Things I Hate About You #2

Cockroaches. Waterbugs. COCKROACHES. I know I've posted about them before. Cockroaches are very, very real. And very very gross. I repeat: Cockroaches are GROSS.

Now, I know some of you come from your fancy midwestern hideyholes where cockroaches are nothing more than the precious cartoon character on a bottle of Raid but let me just tell you from here in the trenches, COCKROACHES ARE GROSS. And I should know, because there's a nest of them living in my kitchen. With my food. Let that marinate in your brain for a while. Why just Monday Bug Guy came and set traps all over mankind. 
If you don't know what this is, count yourself lucky. In this case, ignorance really is bliss.

It wasn't Tuesday morning before I went to wash the dishes and found one dying slowly legs up, under my faucet. I breathed deeply and chose to look on the bright side: at least the bait was working, right? RIGHT? Stupidly I shooed it into the sink, thinking it would go down the drain with the water. Stupid, stupid me. Of course the water got backed up and of course I found it inside Nicholas' sippy cup and wouldn't you just know it popped out, landed on my arm and made me curse a blue streak. I hate you New York cockroaches. I really really do.

5 comments:

Mom said...

I can only imagine your disgust and distaste not to mention terror. La cucaracha, la cucaracha....hum a few bars and dream of your future filled with horseflies, box elder bugs, oriental beetles and mosquitoes... all heavenly to an arachno/insectophobe.

Katie said...

Oh my god. That is a horrifying story.

Your Midwestern future might also include mice, which might seem adorable but are also disgusting. Somehow still less disgusting than cockroaches, though.

Camilla said...

Yheeeeew! how gross!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

You can look forward to "palmetto bugs" in 'Bama.

AKA... the American Cockroach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach