Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Credit Where Credit is Due

I could say that months of coaxing, doting and obsessing over my daughter's development have finally paid off. I could say she took her sweet time and was going to walk whether I worried or ignored the situation. I could say either of those things and not be fibbing, but I would be ignoring the truth completely.
The real reason my child gave up her four-footed existence? Rats. Of the sky. Pigeons, to be clear. I suppose I should lend kinder words to the impetus for this miraculous occurrence but I do not care for pigeons. Yet, Katelyn, Katelyn bears a deep affinity for them. One of her first words (after daddy and before button) was bird. BIRRRR to be exact. She chases them at the park, repeating birr! birr! birr! Nothing, short of spotting a button, has brought her greater joy than fleetly running down a sky rodent.
So here goes: Thank you gray pigeons. Thank you brown speckled pigeons. Thank you wierd pigeon with one leg. Pigeon with the tumor on its beak? Gracias amigo. You too, pigeon who poo'd on my stroller, you are just as responsible for this fine accomplishment as your betumored colleauge. I suppose this is a truce of sorts. Don't expect me to feed you or anything. But I guess I'll stop calling you rodents. For now.

2 comments:

Opa and Oma said...

Hurray for the pigeons! We knew that you would be a bird lover the minute you were born! Nice foot work in the park, Katelyn!
Hugs and kisses!

Great Grandma Eileen Grandpa Les said...

Liking birds is a good trait, even if it is for pigeons! Did Katelyn inherit something along this line from Grandma Becky???
If Katelyn were here Tuesday evening would she'd have gone through our front window? There were 2 Canada Geese enjoying our lawn.
You're giving your sweet girl many great experiences! Lucky Katelyn!