One of my favorite things about moving around as much as we have is the ability to observe different ways of life through the eyes of an outsider. Here's what I've learned about Ally-bama so far:
1. Your mailbox is an extension of your home and should be decorated as such. Birth in the family? Gigantic pink or blue bow. Christmas? Seasonal greens or large lime green bow or both. Birthday? Helium balloons in the shape of your age.
2. Belk is not something you do when you eat too much fried chicken. It's a department store.
3. Speaking of fried chicken, Chik-Fil-A is waaay more popular than McDonald's and I'm starting to see why.
4. You either Roll Tide or War Eagle. If someone asks you who you root for and you have no preference, be prepared to absorb a sympathetic sigh and an abrupt end to the conversation.
5. Nike running shorts are standard issue housewife apparel, even if you don't work out.
6. If it isn't smocked, monogrammed or billowy it is not an appropriate choice for play clothes for your child.
7. We are having our third child here (!) during one of the hottest months of the year (June) in this land bereft of fried cheese curds and New Glarus beer. If it's a girl, she'll be a deb. And if it's boy he's going to be QB for the Tide. Or the Tigers. Or are they elephants and eagles? I kid! I've got those mascots down pat, I swear.
8. Bama's got herself some big ol' hills. And theys so full-a feral pigs that its hunting season never ends and you kin shoot as many as you want. And that's the dadgum truth.
9. Shopping carts are called buggys. Cleaning up is "putting up." And you can replace a variety of things with the phrase "Roll Tide." Yes, hello, goodbye, I like that, let's do it!...sorta like Aloha in Hawaii.
10. When you leave a store (Wal-Mart excluded), expect the checker to say "Come back-n see us sometime!"
That is all.
4 comments:
Did I read that correctly; number 7, that is? It was all a jumble in your ode to Bamalama. Baby #3!!! Super exciting! I don't know how you do it. I know you're enjoying your national travels, but I'd really like you to come home now. Hmmmm, predictions for #3, I'll guess girl! Only because I want more curly, red-headed beauties! P.S. Come home now. Much Love!!!
AHHH! I just love reading about your beautiful family! It's so exciting that there will be more of you! Congratulations!! Roll Tide!
I second Stefanie's comment...baby number 3...nice way to tie that one in. Congrats. Enjoy your time with two...because three is a whole other ballgame. Happy Holidays. I also want you to come back and say..."And when you've said, WISCONSIN...you've said it all!" Lana
CONGRATS!! I have been waiting to see how long it would be before you announced #3! I think you said 4 total right? Both your kiddos are super cute so either way I think it will be perfect! Very excited for all of you!
Post a Comment