Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pipes

Yesterday I took the children to the "real" grocery store (as opposed to the gigantic convenience stores in my nabe). Have you shopped recently with toddlers? No? I shop with all the leisure  (pronounced leh-sure) of a person strapped to a 6 pack of dynamite. Sounds fun, right? Yesterday was no exception: Katelyn declared the need to use the grocery store latrine bathroom right around aisle two and Nicholas was demanding to hold my can of green chiles only to throw them violently on the floor and attempt to rip anything within arms reach off the shelves. As I was making a b-line for the rotiseree (are there really two 'e's?)chickens I somehow managed to tune out my wonderkind and have a brief inner dialog regarding said chickens. As I wheeled around an elderly woman began waving me over to the "cafe" table where she and her husband were sipping coffee. Oh no. Me? Oh. Lord. Not. Today. Please. CAN'T YOU SEE I'M ABOUT TO SPONTANEOUSLY IGNITE? Please. Waving continues. Fine. Oh why must you test me Lord, here in the deli? As I got near, her face brightened. "Who taught your children to sing like that? It's beauuuutiful!!" I realized 1 and 2.0 were belting out "We're in the grocereeeee store and we're shopping for fooood!" and "Luga baluga, luuuga baluuga" (baby beluga) respectively. They are adorable...when they aren't trying to thwart my attempts to collect food items.
Here's 2.0's version of Abc's from the tub:

3 comments:

Katie said...

That is really sweet.

Rotisserie. I had to look it up.

Patrick and Betsy said...

Ah! That looks right. I'm glad I could count on you in times like these.

Camilla said...

Who knew that the ABC's could sound so sweet! God bless old people and singing children!