Wednesday, October 14, 2009

APB: ADVICE WANTED


This picture has nothing to do with this post. I just really like it.

It is 10:49 in the morning. In less than 24 hours I will be on my own; with two offspring under the age of two. I know this is of my own doing. I wanted this. And I knew sooner or later this day would come. Patrick returns to work tomorrow, and things will go back to normal. Only it will be a new normal, and I have no idea what it will be.

Since I have come home from the hospital, I have constantly wondered what I would do without help. When Mom was doing the dishes, feeding Katelyn (how come she has the magic ability to get Katelyn to eat 5 times more food than me?) or putting her to bed I tried to envision myself doing it all on my own. And I can't.

The past few days I have taken night duty with Nicholas and Patrick has gotten up with Katelyn at her strictly regimented time of 7:00 am. In the wee hours of the night as I sat up with Nicholas, half awake, I tried to picture myself getting up with Katelyn, trying to calculate how many more hours of sleep I would get before 7:00 presented itself.

I have had a week to sort this all out. And I am still clueless. I know I said before that having children makes advice squirt out of unexpected, unwanted places but now I NEED IT.And so if any of you reading this would be so kind as dole out any advice on caring for two babies, any advice at all, I would be forever grateful.


7 comments:

JandC said...

i obviously have no idea, but the thought of 2 terrifies me too...so i will be paying attention to any advice you get too :) michelle is super mom if you ask me--she'll have some

Anonymous said...

I was never a Mom but my Mom's advice (having two babes in one year) was that she always remained calm. Not a whole lot gets accomplished when you're excited. If something needs to get, you will get it done otherwise you really didn't need to do it anyway. And if you think you made a mistake or forgot to do something only you will know so forget about it. Your children won't care and will love you unconditionally!

Melissa Winkler said...

I agree with the last advice. I only have one, but I have come to realize that I can't do everything in one day, and if that small load of dishes sits a little longer or the house isn't dusted multiple times a week, it's going to be okay. Luckily, the little guy should be sleeping a lot at this age, right? So that should leave you much needed time with Katelyn. As long as the diapers are dry and the kids have clean clothes on and are feed you will be doing just fine:) Maybe try not to plan your day, go with the flow for a few days and see how things go, then maybe you can figure out a plan and a routine. It took me a good 3 months to get my daughter into a routine and myself so I am sure it's not going to happen in one day for you-your a good mommy, remember that:)

Great Grandma Eileen Grandpa Les said...

The above all sound good to us!
All we'd add is: KIDS FIRST!!! When you think you have too much on your plate, take a deep breath, give Nicholas and Katelyn a big hug and a kiss, then smile as you take another deep breath as you strongly whisper (or shout) a strong THANK YOU, GOD. And sleep when they do.

Kristin said...

WOW---you received great advice! Coming from a Mom with 2 of the same age--Patience, Routines, Sleep and Scheduled Outings helped me (and still helps me). Hang in there! I remember when I first brought the girls home and I was all by myself at the beginning, I felt exactly like you. I felt like I was running in circles and they were only newborns...It gets better, trust me. I have learned that it is ok to not get the laundry or the dishes done on a particular day. As long as your children are happy then that is all what matters! Hang in there!

Patrick and Betsy said...

Thanks for all the advice, friends! Kristin, I am going to keep you in mind tomorrow...if you can do it with TWO newborns, I can do it with just one!

Michelle said...

Hey girl! You will be fine! I learned that it was most important to keep Andrew to HIS schedule, and then I tried to make Aveya's match his as best as I could. I tried to keep her awake as long as possible at night- so that she would sleep when Andrew slept- which therefore gave me more sleep! It takes a little bit of time, but during the summer- I had both kids even napping at the same time. That hour or two was magnificent. AND- I loved my boppy chair. Aveya could sit nicely in that while I needed to take care of Andrew's many needs. I highly recommend it if you don't have one!